Today’s business environment is largely data-based with organizations constantly looking for new platforms where data will be safe and secured, can be managed optimally, and can quickly execute complex queries. Oracle database has long been the chosen option since it was commercially launched in 1979 but in recent times, cloud-based data warehousing solution Snowflake is slowly inching ahead. This is the critical reason why businesses are looking now to migrate data Oracle to Snowflake.
Oracle database was one of the first to have supported GNU/LINUX and Windows Server. It ensures effective storage and retrieval of data and can be run on a wide range of hardware and software. Its exclusive stacking feature enables applications to be easily integrated into the database. It is also ACID-compliant, that is, data reliability and integrity are not ever compromised.
On the flip side, Snowflake, a comparatively recent addition to database platforms offers a host of features that make it the chosen option of most businesses today making them want to migrate data Oracle to Snowflake. Here is some of the benefits and features for choosing Snowflake, a cloud-based data warehousing solution.
Benefits of Snowflake
Several benefits of Snowflake push it ahead of other traditional database platforms.
- Users can effortlessly work with both structured and unstructured data in Snowflake. This is not possible in the Oracle database.
- Since it is cloud-based, Snowflake provides almost limitless computing and storage facilities. Users can scale up or down in either of them, paying only for the quantum of resources used.
- Snowflake is provided as a Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) product and is a fully managed service. Organizations can, therefore, have their data analytics and processing projects up and running quickly without any additional investments in hardware and software. This is a huge boost for startups and small and medium businesses.
- The platform offers high computational capabilities. Multiple users can simultaneously work on multiple workloads and execute complex queries without facing any significant drop in performance.
Given all these aspects, it is natural that enterprises would want to migrate data Oracle to Snowflake.
Optimized Features of Snowflake
There are some features of Snowflake that are crucial for data-driven business environments.
- Data safety and Security – This is a very critical feature for businesses today. Snowflake automatically encrypts all data with multi-factor and federated authentication. The granular access control provided on objects makes sure that all communication between users and databases are encrypted. Third-party authentication and validation ensures that strict security standards like HIPAA are adhered to
- Immediate data recovery in an outage – Database Failover and Fallback is an outstanding feature of Snowflake. There is no gap or inactivity in case of an outage and data recovery in such circumstances is instant. In the event of an outage, the secondary databases active in the region are automatically triggered and take over as primary databases for writing overloads. Once the outage or such issue is resolved, the database failback and failover feature is activated in the reverse direction, the primary databases are restored, and normal operations can be resumed.
- Replication in real-time – Snowflake ensures replication of data in real-time. The data to be replicated is instant in case of data recovery too. If any break or disaster occurs in one region, data access and control is provided in a different cloud service or region in real-time.
- Controlling data freshness – To migrate data Oracle to Snowflake, its periodicity and frequency can be continually monitored and controlled. The data freshness requirements of any business can, therefore, be always met. This process is fast because Snowflake supports incremental data refreshes that are changes and modifications made to the source since the last migration is only updated in the target database.
Tools to migrate data Oracle to Snowflake
There are several tools to migrate data from Oracle database to snowflake but it is critical to select the most optimized ones that will meet specific organizational requirements. Here is a guide to what to look out for.
Select an automated tool so that the whole process to migrate data Oracle to Snowflakeincluding data mergers, data transformation, and data reconciliation are done through a user-friendly point and click interface. The chosen tool should also be able to migrate massive terabytes of data effectively. Further, the most suitable tool should be able to precisely track changes in date, time, and value at the columnar level after migration. This is known as referential integrity.
Choosing the right tool will reduce the load of DBAs significantly during the migration process.